This double crust pizza is one of the family favorites. The recipe
first made by my Mother in Law, I've refined it to suit our living
style. It's very filling and not terribly difficult to make. Serving
it up with a big garden salad makes it complete. The one thing I do
know; it sure beats store bought pizza!
- 2 - 12 inch pizza crusts
- 2 cups pizza sauce or 1 - 15 oz can
- 1 ½ pound ground meat (lean Italian Seasoned turkey)
- 8 oz sliced Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian Season
- Variety of pizza toppings (mushrooms, onions, pepper, olives, pepperoni etc.)
- ¼ cup milk
Season
meat, if necessary, with Italian season, salt and pepper to taste.
Sauté optional vegetables, such as onion garlic and pepper, in small
amount of olive oil about 3 minutes. Add meat. Cook until browned. Add
pizza sauce to meat mixture. Spray 12 inch pizza pan. Shape first crust
on pan allowing extra to hang over pan (about ½ inch) . Sprinkle crust
with ½ of the Parmesan Cheese. Dump the meat mixture in center of crust
spreading it leaving 1 inch around the edges. Top meat mixture with the
remaining optional toppings, such as fresh mushrooms, pepperoni, black
olives, etc). Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese (sliced or grated).
Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan Cheese. Lay second crust over the
top of all ingredients stretching to edges of meat. Fold the extra crust
from bottom crust over the top of the top crust. Pinch and flute edges
like pie crust to seal. Cut steam holes in the top of crust. Bake 15
minutes at
400° F . Brush top of crust with 1/4 cup
milk and bake another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool
slightly (about 15 minutes) before cutting.
Extra tips if desired:
- I usually make my own whole wheat crust using the bread machine
but I've found Pillsbury Pizza crust works well if you want something
quick and easy. It's rectangular in shape but simple enough to reshape
into a circle just by moving stuff around a bit.
- I use ground
turkey or Italian turkey sausage removed from their casings but pizza
meat, ground beef or any combination work just as well. I always sauté
the meat with the onion, garlic and peppers. The remaining toppings I
leave raw and place those on top later.
- Make sure the pizza
sauce isn't too runny. When mixed with the meat (or vegetables) it needs
to be a ratio that makes it thick or the pizza ends up mushy and won't
stay together when cut .
- I've made this complete vegetarian as well mixing the sauce with sautéd vegetables.
- If
you haven't got sliced Mozzarella - grated cheese works okay as well,
so does a mixture of cheese such as Provolone. Grated Romano or a combo
of Romano and Parmesan work well to replace the Parmesan cheese as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment