3 bars Felz Naptha Soap (approximately 16 oz total)
1 Box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (55 oz.)
1 Box 20 Mule Team Borax (4lbs 12 oz.)
1 Tub Oxi Clean (3 lbs) -optional
1 Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lbs) - optional
1 Container Purex Crystals (28 oz.) or approximately 8 - 1o drops
essential oils - optional
I use my food processor to make the Felz Naptha into a powder. first
putting it through the slicer then pulsing it until it's fine. If you
don't get it fine it won't mix in very evenly. After that I dump into a 2 gallon container and stir until well mixed. Make sure not to breath in the Borax dust when you pour that
into the container or stir it up. Once mixed well I dump it into a covered 1 gallon container.
I use a very small amount of soap. About 2oz for each average sized
load. If they are really dirty I use another 2 oz.
Optional Ingredients:
The Oxi is to help get really dirty clothes a bit cleaner. I use this
mostly because I have dirty men in the house. I did find that home made
detergent did not do as well as commercial cleaners at getting stains
out. The Oxi helped with that but I still find I also need to spot treat
stubborn stains accordingly.
If you prefer a scent use the Purex Crystals or Essential Oils. I have
not done this but I did have Lavender scented Felz Naptha. I do hang
outside three seasons so the clothes get that smell. I suspect it's much
like using that scent free detergent. I admit I did miss the smell that
came from commercial detergents. It took a while but I've mostly gotten
used to it. I cannot speak as to which would be less expensive, the
essential oils or the Purex Crystals but if you're about environmental
causes like I am, I'd probably go with the essential oils regardless of
cost.
Of course the additional ingredients will add to the over all cost and
then you'd have to recalculate to see if it was worth it for yourself.

No comments:
Post a Comment